How I Got This Perfect Red Lip look on Myself & My 10 Tips to Wearing Red Lipstick that makeup artists can use or just girls who love wearing makeup!
Red lips are a classic, making any face look instantly elegant.Red lipstick is “the little black dress in your makeup bag.”
Here is my 10 tips for getting it right:
1. Match your skin tone. True reds work best on a pale face, while olive skin calls for brown-reds or mahogany shades. Also, if your teeth are yellow, a red lipstick with blue undertones will make them look whiter.
2. Test on your lips. Most women try out lipstick on their hands, but that’s often a different shade than your face. Test directly on your lips!
3. Trust your instincts. If you’re not sure where to start when choosing a red, trust the shades you are first attracted to. I have learn that often we are drawn to the colours that look best on us. If that fails, I recommend Kevyn Aucoin’s Sheer Red as a shade almost anyone can wear.
4. Keep other makeup subtle. While smoky eyes and red lips look great for a fancy, nighttime occasion(like my picture above) everyday red lips should be accompanied by a subtle, natual-looking face. My advice is this subtle treatment for eyes: Apply mascara, curl lashes and keep brows well-shaped.
5. Give yourself time to get used to it. If red lipstick is a huge departure from your normal look, make an effort to glance at yourself in the mirror as often as you can on the first day of your new look. This will help your eyes adjust to seeing yourself that way. If that fails…
6. Ease into it. Too timid to go for all-out red? Try a more subtle gloss or stain.
7. Decide on your shine level. Glossy or matte? A moister lip looks more modern, but a matte formula stays on your lips longer and won’t feather. Experiment to find the right one for you. I always opt for glossy red lips by applying a matte shade then adding gloss into the centre of the lips- instantly makes my lips pop!
8. Use a neutral liner. Although using a lip liner in a different shade than your lipstick sounds counterintuitive, but it gives you freedom to fill and Choose a shade that matches your natural lip colour.
9. Apply lipstick from the tube or using a lip brush (which eases color into tiny lip lines) over the liner my amazing Illamasqua brushes make my lips perfect! Blot once with a tissue, and lightly dust with face powder. Apply one more coat of lipstick, and you’re set. And u can add Lipgloss here if you desire.
10. Go for more red! I always have red lips matched with red nails!